During his tenure as the KPFA 94.1 FM Music Director, Luis Medina was a staunch advocate for the station music programs. His vast knowledge of different genres of music kept the music programming strong and relevant. Through his direction, the station was recognized as a leader in innovative World Music programs that bolstered the genre’s popularity in the market. He also expanded the diversity of voices on-air by placing more women, Latinos and people of color as program hosts and producers. Luis raised the visibility of the radio station through successful event sponsorships, including contract negotiation, live event marketing and promotion with the following partners: Live Nation, Another Planet Entertainment, SF Jazz, San Francisco Jazz Festival, Yoshi’s Jazz Clubs, Cal Performances, Monterey Jazz Festival, Stern Grove Festival, SF Flamenco Society, La Bohemia Productions, Slims/Great American Music Hall, Bimbos 365 Club and others.
Luis has tirelessly contributed to the station’s on-air fundraising campaigns as well as voice overs for public service announcements and in-house station promotions. He currently continues to work behind the scenes as music consultant for the station.
In his radio program Con Sabor, he has interviewed hundreds of renowned artists and musicians. His interview with the legendary Israel Lopez “Cachao” is featured in the PBS documentary film “Cachao, Uno Mas” produced by actor/producer/director Andy Garcia.
Luis was Entertainment Director for MECA (Mission Economic and Cultural Association) from 1986-1998. He managed the Cinco De Mayo, Carnaval San Francisco and the 24th Street Festival De Las Americas events during his tenure, coordinating programming for up to 3 simultaneous stages. He featured varied music from Rock to Brazilian to Salsa, as well as DJs and entertainment.
He was also an Entertainment Consultant and Director for SFCAT (San Francisco Cultural Arts and Traditions) from 2011 to 2012, which was organizing the SF Carnaval.
Other events and clients he has worked with include The San Francisco Giants, the Oakland Museum, the NFL Super Bowl Party, U.S. Navy Fleet Week Events, Cultural Music Productions, A.S.R.P. Productions, Terry Pimsleur & Associates, Salsa Dulce Productions, ARAM Productions and San Francisco State University.
- The Armando Peraza Award for community service to the Latin and Music community, Voices Of Latin Rock Autism Awareness Benefit, 2012
- Certificate Of Honor, City & County Of San Francisco for many contributions to Latin Music in radio and media as Music Director and Radio Producer/Host 2010.
- Certificate Of Recognition, California Legislature Assembly for contributions to Latin Music through his work as radio host, producer and DJ 2010.
- Achievement in Outstanding Lifetime Service in Radio – Western Region Puerto Rican Council 2008
- Achievement In Latin Music Promotion-Lifetime Award-San Francisco Salsa Congress 2001
- Espíritu De La Música Latina Award of the Marta Martinez Fund for Radio Programming excellence and positive contribution to the Northern California Latino Community, Marin County Foundation 1999
All this information was provided from Luis Medina official website http://luisemedina.com/